Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hibiscus Tea - Balance Heat and Cold

With summer heat on it's way, my favorite way to stay a cool 72 (OK, that's what it feels to me) is drinking hibiscus tea. I always have a pitcher in the frig, all year round. After having heat stroke 4 years ago, like a poison ivy reaction, a little heat will trigger your body to relive the experience, even to waking up on the ground. After reading about natural ways to cool the body, hibiscus tea was used all over the world for regulating body temperature, whether external extremes (environment heat or cold) or internal temperature extremes.

So I initially planned a 10 day period, but noticed immediately when I was standing in over 100 degree heat (after drinking an 8 ounce glass)  I wasn't sweating, feeling a cool 72 degrees. It blew my mind! I also would get dry "hot flashes" about 3am and during my experiment, I noticed they went away as well. Many times when I start a trial period, I will discover other issues are resolved that I had not planned on. This was the case in this experiment with hibiscus tea.

You can purchase the dried hibiscus flowers (about 40 per gallon) or I found a more convenient (and portable) tea bags at the same high concentration from Nile Valley Herbs made in Austin, Texas. Other hibiscus teas I tried were tasty but didn't reduce my temperature. They were not strong enough in concentration, only 1 blossom per tea bag, so all hibiscus tea bags are not the same.

You don't need to brew, just drop in water and drink. I always keep a teabag in my purse during summer so I can grab a bottled water, roll teabag and slide into the bottle. It starts getting red immediately.

I also discovered, hibiscus tea has higher Vitamin C that Orange Juice, so it you have issues with citrus juices giving you indigestion, this is a lifesaver, cold or hot.

Wishing you wellness on your journey...